Sunday, January 22, 2017

Baklava Roasted Walnuts

I love baklava; it was my favorite dessert to share after a trip to Greece in 2007.  I haven't made it in a few years because of dietary restrictions (wheat, butter, and honey - basically the most important ingredients to baklava).  This quick easy recipe has all the flavor of baklava without all the butter or time to make. You'll notice I also substituted maple syrup in place of honey - feel free to use honey if your diet allows it, however, I thought these tasted just like the baklava I remember. Printable recipe here.

Serves 8
  • 2 cups walnut halves
  • 1/4 cup sugar (or I have also used 1/8 cup sugar and 1/8 cup Splenda) 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
  • 1 small pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon butter or butter substitute (I used smart balance)
  • 1 splash lemon juice, less than a teaspoon (optional)
  1. In a medium sized bowl combine sugar, salt and cinnamon, set aside.
  2. In a medium pot over medium heat bring water and maple syrup to a boil (if using lemon juice add here), stir in butter, add walnuts.  Stir gently until syrup mixture has become thickened and is coating the nuts.
  3. Scrape coated walnuts into bowl of sugar mixture, stir to coat.
  4. Lay coated nuts on to wax paper or silicone mat to cool.
  5. Enjoy!  



No comments :

Post a Comment