Friday, May 26, 2017

Chocolate & Wine Truffles

I am sure the title of this recipe should also include cake batter or brownie dough.  These are little chocolate delights.  They whip up quickly and the most time consuming part is shaping the dough into balls and letting them chill out at little.  Recipe makes 26-30 1.25 inch balls. You could mix this by hand, but I recommend using a mixer - let it do all the tough work. Feel free to use whatever type of wine you like to drink, I have made this with a semi sweet white and with a blush, both were delicious. I think ground or chopped walnuts or pecans would be a great substitute for sprinkles, give it a try!


  • 5 tablespoons of butter substitute ( I used Earth Balance)
  • 1/4 cup plus one table spoon wine, ( I a blush, Elderberry-Dandelion, my Grandpa makes it - delicious) Use whatever type of wine you like.
  • 1 16 ounce package of chocolate baking mix ( I used Aldi's Live G Free brownie mix)
  • 1.5 tablespoons sprinkles (optional)
  1. In a mixer cream butter substitute, it will cling to side of mixing bowl - that is ok.
  2. Add 1/4 wine and cake mix to mixer, beat to combine. See photo below - labeled Step #2, this is the crumbly phase, it tastes amazing but will not hold together well, on to next step.
  3. Add one tablespoon wine, just one.  This is the small amount of extra liquid that will make is a dough - if your dough is not looking crumbly before this step it might not need it.  Mix to combine. Perfection. See photo below - labeled Step #3.
  4. I used a medium cookie scoop that make 1.25 inch balls - larger than they need to be, one inch is a better size, but oh well. Shape balls on to a plate or wax covered cookie sheet - once the balls are formed, place in freezer to help set the shape, 10 - 20 minutes.  
  5. Once set, place in an air tight container.  These can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months or 2 weeks in refrigerator.  My preference is the freezer.  

Step #2 - Crumbly


Step #3 - Doughy
I bought both of these, the hand mixer first and after making meringue and hating holding the mixer upgraded to stand mixer. Happiness.

No comments :

Post a Comment