Monday, June 5, 2017

Spinach Pesto Potato Salad

I love pesto, it is just amazing. I also love potato salad. Combine them and I am just happy as can be.  I make a large batch of pesto to use as a topping to salmon, a salad dressing, or in this case to make my favorite potato salad.
  • 5 pounds red potatoes
  • 1/2 cup pesto, recipe below or any jarred pesto will work
  • 1 bunch green onions, washed and sliced
  • 2 cups mayo

  1. Place whole potatoes into a large pot of water (salted if you wish) heat water to boil and cook potatoes until a fork is inserted easily into the potatoes.  If your potatoes are of varying sizes the small ones will probably finish first.  I usually give myself 20 minutes to boil a complete batch. Drain potatoes from water using a colander and sink.
  2. Let potatoes cool for 10 minutes. If you want to cut down cooling time - you can run cold water over potatoes. Once cool enough to handle, cut into bite sized one inch-ish cubes. Place in large bowl.
  3. Cover cubed potatoes with pesto, stir to coat. 
  4. Add sliced green onions, stir again. I use the greens and the whites of the onion.  I trim the greens with kitchen shears and cut the whites with a kitchen knife.
  5. Add mayo, 1/2 a cup at a time. Depending on how much mayo you like you might not need all of it.
  6. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. 


Spinach Pesto (recipe makes 3 cups of pesto, halve recipe or quarter for your needs)
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen spinach or 3 cups fresh
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 fresh cloves
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups of mixed nuts, no peanuts. I used macadamia, walnut, cashew, and almond
  • 3/4 cups olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup dried basil
Place all in ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, add more olive oil until desired consistency is reached, I make my pesto thick like a paste, adding extra olive oil as I use it.

No comments :

Post a Comment