Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Nutritional Yeast Parmesan

My house was built on Parmesan cheese, I would eat it in slices right from the block - it would top pizzas. Now, it is one cheese I dearly miss, I miss bleu cheese just slightly more. This substitute is nice on salads, popcorn, or wherever you miss Parmesan cheese. I have made using sunflower seeds as well, used almost any nut or seed combo, a bit of milled flax seed would hide well in this.


  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 cup mixed nuts - I used macadamia, cashew, almonds, and walnuts
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  1. Place all ingredients in blender or food processor, and process until nuts are no longer in big chunks, about 1 minute in food processor. If processed for too long the oil from the nuts will start to make a paste.
  2. Store in an airtight container.  I use a canning jar with an old Parmesan shaker lid, see photo. Mayonnaise lids also work on these and jelly jars. In photo below I doubled recipe to fill a quart sized jar. 
  3. If using a blender and the muxtute feels warm, let it cool before tightening the lid. Warm cheese is more likely to clump. 


This recipe was adapted from Minimalist Baker

No comments :

Post a Comment