Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Marinated Tofu Feta Cheese

I loved feta, back when I thought I could eat cheese - I would heat feta in a cast iron skillet to make a beloved halloumi type grilled cheese, side note if you can eat dairy - find and eat halloumi, do it for me. I don't want to waste space with a story but, I had it once in Albania, I still remember that grilled cheese, I wish I could order it now. 


  • One package extra firm tofu, pressed of water
  • 2 tablespoons brown miso
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil 
  • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 1- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  1.  Open container of extra firm tofu, wrap in a paper towel sheet, then again in a kitchen towel.  Lay tofu on counter, place a plastic cutting board on top followed by a wooden cutting board.  this will slowly and evenly-ish press water out of tofu - making room for our marinade.  leave the tofu for at least two hours, but no more than four hours.  the tofu will be firmer the longer you leave it and be more receptive to the marinade. 
  2. In a small bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients.
  3. Cut pressed tofu into smaller cubes, toss into a medium sized bowl, cover with marinade, toss to coat.
  4. Marinate for at least 2 hours (I sample right after it is coated, FETA!) in the refrigerator, the next day coat tofu with olive oil to keep it fresh. 
  5. I eat this quickly but it will last 2-3 weeks covered in oil in the refrigerator.

Adapted from http://greenevi.com/vegan-tofu-feta-cheese-new-and-improved/

No comments :

Post a Comment